In real life there are many ways the hosts in a network is connected. Upon which the efficiency and other parameters depends and discussed topologies are been developed through the decades.
Bus & Ring Topology
- A bus topology use a connection line that connects all computers.
- Ring topology connects all the computer on a network with a ring of cable.
In ring topology the data gets transferred in uni direction (clockwise or anti clockwise )
Problems – Both suffered from same problem with cable break down.
Here all machines are connected to a central node.
Pros – It is robust and if one connection goes down then entire network don’t get affected.
Cons – If the central node goes down then the entire network goes down.
In wireless network every machine is connected to every network then it is a mesh topology. There are mainly two type of topology is there-
- Fully Mesh – All machines are connected to all other machines.
- Total number of Links – n * (n – 1) / 2
- Partial Mesh – At least two machines are not connected.
Here in the central box all the machines are connected to a internal bus. It is often known as star-bus topology.
All the hosts are connected to a central node but inside the box every connection is actually bus topology.